* The following was emailed to all registered 2020 Endless Summer Trail Run Series runners and volunteers on Sunday April 12, 2020.

Dear Friends,

I hope that this email finds you and your family healthy and safe during these extraordinary times. In all honesty, these have been very stressful times for Cheri and I. We have been worried about our races, our business and our future. More importantly than that, we have been worried about our at risk parents and our fellow citizens. I am sure that you all are dealing with your own unique set of circumstances and worries, and we are thinking of you. We will get through this, and maybe we will even be better for it – strength through adversity.

The reason for my email today is to give you an update regarding the Endless Summer Trail Run Series in light of COVID-19. I will start by saying that above all, our primary concern and the determining factor behind the decisions we make will be runner and community safety and health.

I know that many of you have been to the ESTRS website and have seen our more comprehensive updates that primarily focused on two of our other early season (non-ESTRS) races that we have already had to cancel, the Zumbro Endurance Run and the Superior Spring Trail Race. https://www.estrs.com/covid-19-press-release-4-9-20/ – I cannot tell you how hard it was to cancel these races and have to deliver that message to our runnres.

At this time all of this year’s ESTRS races are still scheduled and we are continuing to monitor the situation. As you all know, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz has extended the “Stay at Home” order through May 4. Right now, my gut tells me that unless things go significantly better than expected, the first ESTRS race of the year, the Lebanon 10K scheduled for May 20, will be canceled. I can also foresee the same for the French 5K on June 17. Since these are largely local races and we do not have to worry about folks traveling in from out of town, with flights, hotel arrangements etc. we have decided to give it a little more time before making any final decisions. As much work as it takes to host a race, it takes a significant amount of communication and coordination to cancel one – this time will allow us to be prepared to sanely and systematically carry out either decision. During this time we will monitor the situation generally, while keeping in touch with our permitting agencies, local authorities and the parks where our races are held. Today we are just over 5 weeks out from the Lebanon 10K and 9 weeks out from the French 5K.

Obviously on the list of our collective priorities right now, racing does not rate real high. That said, at some point, things will start to return to normal, and when they do, we will be ready.

I will be back in touch. If in the meantime you have any questions, you can reply to this email and I will get right back to you. Until then, stay safe and be well.

Thank You,

John Storkamp
Race Director
[email protected]